Getting URL of website using sniffer

TokerJoker
7 years ago

Hey everyone :)
This is my first post here.
I am currently working on a project, and I am supposed to get the URL of a website I am browsing using a sniffer (such as wireshark).
So, what I have done is look at the HTTP packets in wireshark, and there the url is displayed and accessable. The problem is
websites that use HTTPS (Secure), and not just HTTP- because the data in the packets is encrypted, I am unable to find the URL (there are no http packets to look at).
I eventually am supposed to write a python script for doing this-meaning that when a user browses different websites, the script will create a txt document with a list of all the websites the user browsed.
I have been trying to figure this out for days, but haven’t managed to do so :\
I would really really appreciate some help :)
Thank you in advance

3replies
3voices
174views
theMunchBox
7 years ago | edited 7 years ago

[list=1]
[]Why use a sniffer?
[
]Why make such a program w/ python?
[*]Why?[/list]

dloser
7 years ago

It’s kinda the idea of HTTPS that you cannot access such stuff. ;)

There is some other information around that allows you to infer the visited websites, however.

TokerJoker
7 years ago

It doesn’t necassirly have to be with python, and it doesn’t have to involve a sniffer- if you have another idea of doing this, I would be more than happy to do it your way :D
It’s just that I tried to use tools I am familiar with, but again, I would be happy to hear different suggestions

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 4

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss