Privacy & Cookies

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
Forum Index

Sections

View

Filter topics in this section

Stats

Threads7,376
Posts59,044
Authors6,733

Puzzle Hex / steganography problem

General Information > Puzzle Hex / steganography problem

So I am having a puzzle to solve. I tried solving it but I don't know the exact approach for that. If possible someone helps me to solve this.

Puzzle link:-
    https://ibb.co/HXkxmXJ

I tried using hex editor but couldn't find any valuable data. Then I tried opening the "png" file with Notepad++ so I found some "RDF" code in it.
    But I am clueless what is need to be done with that. I am pasting the same code in this as well. Kindly see it and let me know the approach.

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="XMP Core 5.4.0">
    <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
    <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
    xmlns:exif="http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/"
    xmlns:tiff="http://ns.adobe.com/tiff/1.0/">
    <exif:PixelYDimension>960</exif:PixelYDimension>
    <exif:PixelXDimension>1306</exif:PixelXDimension>
    <tiff:Orientation>1</tiff:Orientation>
    </rdf:Description>
    </rdf:RDF>
    </x:xmpmeta>
Viewing 8 replies - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 4n1mu5
    4n1mu5's profile picture

No, it is not a challenge from "Hack this". I got it from somewhere. That's the reason I don't have any clue towards it. So you can let me know whatever solution you found, then we can work on it if it isn't proper.
  • feuerstein
    feuerstein's profile picture

If you look at that middle-part I've mentioned before. If you switch the byte-order wordwise too for this part you will get a clean text message:
    _._.someRandomCharacters._._

Only an illusive mind with illusive thoughts can bear to see reality, As illusion once created are now reality. Isn't it?

Congrats, You have made it here!

Now, Tell us about your favorite Hack - Postman Security Team

_._.someRandomCharact

So it seems the last line shall bring you to the JFIF-Format-Headers, and recognizing that the first line is byteswitched brings you the hint for the encoded message of the middlepart
  • dloser
    dloser's profile picture

I got it from somewhere. 4n1mu5
    Why won't you just say where? This feels like you are trying to (ab)use us to solve things for you...
  • 4n1mu5
    4n1mu5's profile picture

No it's not the case you are thinking -dloser. I seriously just had the image nothing else and I just wanted to know the approach for solving such questions. And by my profile, you can easily see that I am interested in learning nothing else.
  • 4n1mu5
    4n1mu5's profile picture

-feuerstein . I am trying to understand the way you solve the problem. So can you use a bit laymen terms or the software you use to decode it? It will be helpful if you do that.
  • dloser
    dloser's profile picture

I see nothing. (And that includes an answer to my question.)
  • feuerstein
    feuerstein's profile picture

I can't. The only thing I can do is to list the steps:

1. type the values from the image into a hex-editor to create the shown file
    2. recognizing the string JFIF on the bottom of the file
    3. read reference-papers about the JFIF (Jpeg File Interchange Format)
    4. try to understand what is at the bottom with that papers (check every byte in that format if it makes sense)
    5. recognize that these headers are on the top of the file in switched byteorder
    6. recognize that everything between the 1st and the last line is printable ascii
    7. recognize this byteorder is switched too
    8. decode the message by ordering the bytes
  • DIDIx13
    DIDIx13's profile picture

4n1mu5 Please provide a source if you need help, we are not allowed to help an on-going CTF challenge etc

If you need help tell us first if it's a wargame website, "just had the image nothing else" is not an answer.
    loading.gif
Viewing 8 replies - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic