CRACKING LEVEL 1

dimooz
7 years ago | edited 4 years ago

Hi,

As already talked in this thread, that could be fun if we could have a Cracking or Reverse Engineering section in HT. I hope @flabbyrabbit will agree to add some of these levels, so I propose here a first level to solve (I made it myself), for anyone who’d like to try it. Enjoy! (feedback is welcome)

You’ve got a software, for which you know the validation code linked to a serial number. You need to retrieve the original serial number that generates the following validation code :

RRFFT-SDEPV-TBSRI-YBJQJ-SJOEF

[i]You can download the tool used to generate the key codes here

Hint (for lamerz):

Serial number is alphanumeric. Charset used here: [0-9a-z]

EDIT: feel free to PM me to submit your solutions, although you’ll know when you got it. I hope this level is not too much difficult, [s]I agree it could have been easier for a “level 1”[/s]. Please note that this challenge has been updated on 2019/10/28, now there should be only one valid solution. Good luck!

[left]Click here to access CRACKING LEVEL 0[/left] [right]Click here to access CRACKING LEVEL 2[/right]

WHO SOLVED IT? (in order of appearance)
Nov. 01, 2016 : @HackingGuy (congratulations! [applause] ;) )
Jan. 09, 2018 : @feuerstein

49replies
18voices
1,827views

please update your You can download the tool used to generate the key codes here.
link

dimooz
7 years ago

The link seems to be working correctly, can’t you download the file linked?

It says id domain error

dimooz
7 years ago | edited 7 years ago

I don’t understand, if I click on the link the download does start here… Does anybody else have problem to download it?

tl0tr
7 years ago

I just tried it, its working fine for me. It’s an executable (.exe) file and I am on Linux and I like wine :(

Will try it on a VM though.

dimooz

Thank you for your feedback, Mr @tlotr :) I’m sure you can make it working on Wine as well. What reverse engineering tool do you use usually? On my side now I use IDA32, this marvelous thing is able to generates some pseudo-code from binary files very well. It’s a “must-have” IMO.

Can u upload it somewhere eles ???

dimooz

[quote=gala]Can u upload it somewhere eles ??? [/quote]

Dunno, the download seems to be working from anywhere else.. and I don’t have another server to host the file right now (and I’m a bit lazy :p). Let’s hope that flabbyrabbit will agree to add a ‘cracking’ section on HT very soon? That could definitely solve the problem.

dimooz

And the winner is : @HackingGuy

f0rk [HackingGuy]
7 years ago

Thanks @dimooz :p

It was quite fun to just get back into the challenge scene for a minute. I really hope more levels like these come out!

7 years ago

Ctrl+f

7 years ago

How to pass level 1

dimooz
7 years ago

What level are you talking about, cracking_level_1? If so, please read documentation about reverse engineering, then analyse the provided tool and find by yourself (that’s the purpose of the challenge, remember?)

I think what he tries to say is: he’s stuck on main 1 xD

dimooz
7 years ago

haha that’s what I thought ^^ anyway the answer remains the same!

[deleted user]
7 years ago

i can’t see anywhere written download

Kaneki13140
7 years ago

thanks you man

dimooz
7 years ago

[quote=terms]i can’t see anywhere written download [/quote]

Open your eyes, it’s here

colthack
7 years ago

very good idea :D

[deleted user]
7 years ago

I am new here pls

dimooz
7 years ago

Still just one player has solved it at the moment (an easy way), even if some others tried.. I’ll post another cracking challenge if at least 3 challengers could solve this one. C'mon guys!

f0rk [HackingGuy]
7 years ago

Yes :)

I have a book or two to teach people how to reverse if they want it.
We should also think about making levels involving cryptography, cause those are always fun. :)

Markb2
7 years ago

Hmm never seen this thread before. I’d like to take a look at this when I’m done (or extremely frustrated) with crypt 9. :)

dimooz

[quote=HackingGuy]
I have a book or two to teach people how to reverse if they want it.
We should also think about making levels involving cryptography, cause those are always fun. [/quote]

But there’s already a ‘crypt’ section in HT levels… oh, you wanna say more levels in it?

Sprall
7 years ago

Sounds like a really good idea. I’d like to see more like basic 7 where you get to use your tools against the site and actually connect to it. More levels like that could be a lot of fun and really helpful.

f0rk [HackingGuy]
7 years ago

[quote=dimooz]But there’s already a ‘crypt’ section in HT levels… oh, you wanna say more levels in it?[/quote]

Nope :)
I just meant reversing levels that involve cryptography. ;)

Markb2
7 years ago

Yes, exactly that. There are some crypt levels but they are not based on real cryptography. I probably will never solve real cryptography levels but I still think it would we a added value for the site.

f0rk [HackingGuy]
7 years ago

Although, the possibilities are endless, so if we’re to add this section we should also write some article or provide some links describing ethical reversing and advanced techniques for levels involving higher level things such as cryptography. :)

Markb2
7 years ago

Would love that. I suck in exactly those two things; reversing and cryptography >.<

PenCrasher
7 years ago

The zip is not opening. Did i forget something?

dimooz

No you didn’t, the zip should be opened without any pb.. I’ll check again if I can open it correctly from my side.

EDIT: it works like a charm here… opened with 7-zip and fileroller.

PenCrasher

[quote=dimooz]No you didn’t, the zip should be opened without any pb.. I’ll check again if I can open it correctly from my side.[/quote] The zip opens and closes right after.

EDIT: Giving it another try now.

dimooz

There’s nothing special with the zip file, it’s just a zip… However I’ve just added on new link just to be sure the download works, maybe you can give it a try.

dimooz
7 years ago

Someone else to try? I’d like to make a level2, I’d need more feedback on it..

I think Cracking/Reverse Engineering levels would be super fun to have here!

Ill give this a shot. I have reverse engineered many random things, but for some reason executables seem to be the bane of my existence! Which makes me sad because they are pretty much the most practical things to RE :( Do you recommend using IDA, any old hex editor, or something else?

f0rk [HackingGuy]
6 years ago

I recommend using whatever works ;)

Ha! Alright, I’ll go download that…

fred [feuerstein]
6 years ago

I’ll have a look at this too :D

fred [feuerstein]
6 years ago

that wasn’t too hard :)

Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago

Maybe you have downloaded the key code generator, crack it in few days and when you were closer then you wrote: I’ll have a look, or maybe you are a really good crack man.

fred [feuerstein]
6 years ago

Maybe I just told you that I would have solved it ;)

dimooz
6 years ago | edited 6 years ago

Pretty sure @feuerstein is just a really good one. Or maybe this challenge is just too easy to solve?

dimooz
6 years ago | edited 6 years ago

I could make other challs like this one if some challengers are interested, I’m just waiting for completion by other challengers (this topic is a bit old now).

4 replies have been removed
f0rk [HackingGuy]
6 years ago

I can’t wait for the next one ;)

Maybe make an this one an ELF for us Linux users :P

BTW @dimooz , you should PM me. I have an interesting idea for the next level

Ahmed_Aris
4 years ago

Nice Idea

dimooz
4 years ago

@Ahmed_Aris: did you try this challenge?

dimooz
4 years ago

Hi guys (and girls ^^),
I made another cracking challenge for those who are interested, you can give it a try here. Enjoy!

Thanks for posting here, so I got the ping in my notifications :) I’ll check it out soon!

dimooz
4 years ago

Challenge updated, a little bit harder now as there should be only one valid solution. Good luck challengers!

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 50

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss