anonghost321
7 years ago

what is the best way of using kali?as a virtual machine?to make a bootable pendrive or installing it in our system?
i tried using it as a virtual machine and trust me it sucked and kali is known to be the hardest o.s to install in our system,so i am left with the option of making a bootable pendrive.
also,which one is better parrot or kali,for a beginner to the world of pen testing?

9replies
7voices
255views
f0rk [HackingGuy]
7 years ago

Kali is, for the most part, the industry standard. If you feel, however, that you would perform better on another pentesting OS such as Black Arch Linux, or the Parrot OS, then go for it. Of course, Parrot is a bit more programming oriented than the others, so take this difference as well as others into consideration for what you feel you can accomplish.

In terms of using an OS that is beginner friendly, none of them really are. I would learn about the Linux kernel and other low-level aspects before continuing with choosing.

anonghost321
7 years ago

i have been a ubuntu user since last 3years.i am well acquainted with all the basics of ubuntu,i am a beginner in pentesting although i have worked with few tools of kali like nmap, burpsuite that worked efficiently in ubuntu but now i need some advanced stuff so i was considering to move on.
plus i really really want to not be called a script kiddie,anyone can learn tools in one or two months,i want to get myself into deeper level, want to know how the stuff happens.
so what would suggest me to go with?parrot arch,kali?and what should be the method of using them?

theMunchBox
7 years ago

I’m a noob but I would like to answer your questions. [Listen or don’t. I can’t make you].

“[W]hat would you suggest me to go with? [P]arrot, [A]rch, [or] [K]ali?”

You must know how Linux work and have a solid understanding of TCP/IP. Imo, Ubuntu isn’t really a good OS to learn these things. If you really feel comfortable with your skills you acquired on Ubuntu then, to answer your question:,

You don’t need Parrot, Arch, or Kali to have a “deeper level” on “how stuff happens.”

I’m pretty sure you can download the tools that Kali has on any Linux-based OS.

[EDIT] Here’s a link: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-install-kali-linux-tools-on-ubuntu-with-this-easy-script/ (This article is from 2015. I have no idea if it still works. If not, keep digging. I’m sure there is an updated article somewhere.)

I also recommend you learn TCP/IP [somehow/someway].

“I really [don’t] want to be called a script kiddie.”

Simple solution: When you learn something new, don’t act like you mastered that area.

[The things you say you know would make you, kind of, a mouse (point-and-clicker).]

Look, a “hacker” is making something do… some thing… it shouldn’t do/wasn’t designed to. That’s it. It’s more mindset than skillset imo.

Hope I helped.

b1nary
7 years ago | edited 7 years ago

lol kali is hard to install ? no way , arch is much more annoying to install and configure (at least if you are coming from windows)… not sure if you are using an old iso of kali , but you should redownload the last version from THIS link

and as the guy above me says , you can always install debian or ubuntu and add the tools you need (alot of people just rush to install kali just to use nmap , sqlmap and metasploit)

if you wanna give it a try to debian go for debian 7 “wheezy” cos i feel like its really stable and you wont gona get too much trouble with some libs like debian 8, and as kali is based on debian 8 you wont gona get too much trouble installing the tools you need

dimooz
7 years ago

Maybe you should start with a classic debian and install only the tools you really need?

anonghost321
7 years ago | edited 7 years ago

thanks for all the suggestions.
will take that advice of using kali tools in ubuntu.
thanks all,again.

dimooz
7 years ago

Can you give some feedback about the system you chose now?

jdtec
6 years ago

best is to install kali in your system

Smyler [WHGhost]
6 years ago

When installing kali in a virtual machine, be sure to download the virtual machine direftly from https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-vmware-virtualbox-image-download/, and not the iso, wich is not designed to be runned or installed in a VM. That may be why you felt not comfortable when running kali in a VM.

Hope that helps, even if the thread is old.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 10

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss