HackThis Discord Server

Darwin [DIDIx13]
6 years ago | edited 6 years ago

It’s been a while till I’m on Discord and I want to share with you guys my thoughts.

Firstly first Discord is a Free Voice and Text Chat (VoIP).

Discord is made for gamers and Slack (Or TeamSpeak, IRC etc) for professionals or for other purpose but, Discord beats Slack&co in so many points and Ive used a lot Slack and IRC for CTF etc but Discord is so smooth and friendly.

The app is made for a more casual audience, and while thats not to say the app isnt professional in appearance, its focus on gaming and friends list makes it feel like a far more welcoming app than the business-first feel of Slack. If youre looking for a replacement for Skype, its call quality and low-latency cant be beaten, and the app is easy to pick up and learn right away. If youre interested in meeting new people, the server function works well, and setting up your own server only takes a few minutes of your time.

Discord doesnt charge you for having more than 10k messages. You can use the same discord account everywhere(and change your name for each server if you really want it). Discord seems to be getting tonnes of updates very regularly.

I was sceptical at first but the amount of stuff (voice, search, video/screen sharing in video call (you can even adjust the quality)) theyve added in such a short amount of time won me over. I think if they target the business market more they can stomp out Slack. The only problem is that Slack is becoming an industry standard for IT so integrations for it are everywhere. The slack compatible webhook discord provides helps with this a bit (even though its a bit broken).

Some notable dev features include:
[list]
[] Slack Compatible API layer meaning every service that lets you specify a slack incoming webhook URL you can use with Discord.
(Ive tested this so far with BuildKite, DataDog, CircleCI & more).
[
] Github/TravisCI support out of the box (with more integrations to come).
[/list]

Keep in mind that Discord update itself way faster, very impressive from them.

They have more features (voice chat, dark mode, wayyyy more admin controls, better mobile apps, no message limit), and theyre on a much faster update cycle. They also are monetizing individual users (optionally, $5/mo) rather than entire teams at once (slacks pricing is pretty high, and not published). Im also not worried about discords longevity.

Discord features

Here’s a neutral opinion.

Discord is host to many open source projects and it keeps growing.

That said: I propose to create a Hackthis Discord Server no need to be super active but it’s way smoother to use. :)

Let me know your opinion guys!

12replies
7voices
411views
1image
Darwin [DIDIx13]
6 years ago | edited 5 years ago

If you want me to create the server I’m already experienced, and I would highly appreciate create it (We can easily give Server Owner and admin rights after).

Btw here’s my Discord ID: DIDIx13 #1337

And I’m a Hypesquad member!

If you have any question post them here so everyone can see it!

f0rk [HackingGuy]
6 years ago

I’d consult @Mugiwara27 about leadership roles first, but we should definitely get this rolling!

Smyler [WHGhost]
6 years ago

I would be happy to contribute :)

Psyberion
6 years ago

I think a Discord server sounds like a neat idea :D

Darwin [DIDIx13]
6 years ago

So we just need the approbation of @flabbyrabbit or @Mugiwara27 :)

Ready when you are.

JJPSWFC
6 years ago

I would happily contribute also, I have set up a lot of discord servers over time

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
6 years ago

Thanks for the interest however I don’t think a Discord server would suite the ethos this site is trying to promote. It also would be difficult to seamlessly integrate with the current site which is something I am trying to address in any IRC replacement.

I have been using Matrix recently and it seems like it will tick all the boxes. Matrix is nice because it’s:
* Privacy focused
* Supports group chat and private messages
* Supports end to end encryption
* Open source
* Easy to implement API based on common web standards which would allow us to tightly integrate it with the main site

As it is decentralized we can run a HT!! homeserver which would allow you to login with your normal credentials while allowing you to join rooms both within our network and any other matrix server.

It also has a wide range of clients for web, desktop, mobile and terminal.

Not the easiest thing to explain but is ideal for what I am trying to achieve. You can connect to a test channel as a guest here: https://riot.im/app/#/room/#hackthis:macak.co.uk. I’m still working on the integration with the HT user base so don’t get too attached.

P.S. if it’s good enough for France: https://matrix.org/blog/2018/04/26/matrix-and-riot-confirmed-as-the-basis-for-frances-secure-instant-messenger-app/

Darwin [DIDIx13]
6 years ago

@flabbyrabbit

You can easily use the iframe that Discord offer: https://blog.discordapp.com/add-the-discord-widget-to-your-site-d45ffcd718c6
Or if you need more specific and customizable widget, we already created a bot to help: https://widgetbot.io

Here’s a Discord vs Matrix Versus.

Btw I had not even thought of Matrix it also has many benefits and is considered one of the best text chat, but it does not make voice chat, unfortunately. But do we need it?

Luke [flabbyrabbit]

Matrix does in fact support both voice and video calls via WebRTC although I think it is only through private conversations. And I agree this is probably a feature we wouldn’t use anyway.

By integration I am hoping that you will be able to use your HackThis!! login details within matrix which in turn pulls through additional information such as avatars etc. Also it would allow us to have Facebook style chat windows with the HackThis!! site and would ideally replace the current PM system.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
6 years ago

Sounds great, is there an app available for Android and iOS?

Smyler [WHGhost]
6 years ago

[quote=flabbyrabbit]It also has a wide range of clients for web, desktop, mobile and terminal.[/quote]
It does :)
Sound interesting, it’s been a while since the site last big changes!

Luke [flabbyrabbit]

https://matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html - there is a list of all clients etc at the bottom of this page. Personally i’m using riot on iOS and their web client which is surprisingly stable and polished.

2 replies have been removed
You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 13

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss