Call for New Levels

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago | edited 5 years ago

Hey guys. It has grown on me that this site is pretty dead. I don’t mean to rag on the site, I love it here. However, there is a large lack of new challenges and interesting discussion. I started learning hacking here, and I’d love to continue to, as well as spread that knowledge that I have acquired. I guess my main question is what can we do to improve the site? I’d love some new levels, and possibly ones in new sections. I’m completely willing to make new challenges if it means improvement. I’m mainly talking to the devoted members that have been around for a while like @Mugiwara27 , @bolofecal , @r4v463 and the admin @flabbyrabbit . Please let me reiterate, this post is not meant to degrade the site, I’m just simply worried about the future of the site.

Thread has been resolved, jump to solution
31replies
10voices
657views
1image
Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

You are absolutely right, it would be great to have some new cool stuff around here, to keep the site alive.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

@WHGhost We are not in the devoted members crew :(

joking :p

Smyler [WHGhost]

@DIDIx13 How could we be when the one mentioned above taught us so much? :)

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

I guess we can send to flabby new challenges he might be busy :/

Try to create one :D

We need SQLi flter_input bypass and Blind SQLi challenge

More web server chall and networking

And there are a lot of pwn hackers in this world that would bring a lot of new users :)

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

@WHGhost You are right and they have the 1000th post medal

They are the real MVP

Smyler [WHGhost]

There are a few challenges made by users hidden on the forum, they would be a good starting point. And I have a few ideas about some crypto/forensics/stegano challenges (crypt9 makes me think so much), I will try make one someday.

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

[quote=DIDIx13]You are right and they have the 1000th post medal[/quote]
Quite ironically, flabby doesn’t. But let’s keep this thread clean so it can be of a real use.

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

Yeah. Idk it just feels really dead. I can develop reversing and binary exploitation challenges for the site to implement with write-ups, I just need an admin to post it.

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

[quote=HackingGuy]I just need an admin to post it.[/quote]
That’s the actual problem, flabby may not have the time to actively maintain the site anymore.

juniorlef11
5 years ago

I have some ideas too! If you’d like!

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

Definitely @juniorlef11 ! What ideas do you have? If the list is extensive or starts to drift off-topic you can just PM me.

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
5 years ago

Hello yall :)

@HackingGuy you’re right, this website clearly needs some new things

As @WHGhost pointed out, there are some good challenges waiting to be solved in the forum.
But there are also some challenges sleeping in PM & contact section.

I’ll PM Flabby and see if he has time and if not, I can do the whole work by myself

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

Very cool news! I would gladly help you, if there was anything I could do, just tell me.

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

Same here :)
I’d love to operate on a newer platform.

MisterDoom
5 years ago

If the idea/thread is not dead, same here!
I can help with implementing or with trivial stuff, and I also have some ideas which I believe could be nice :).

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

Definitely @MisterDoom

What type of challenges do you want to help develop or implement?

MisterDoom
5 years ago

I’d prefer:
[list]
[] Coding (Implementing cool Algorithms, or solving Maths problems);
[
] Crypt (I would like to develop more challenges similar to Crypt 7, treasure hunt like with a lot of story telling);
[] Captcha Cracking (Image manipulation and processing);
[
] Reverse Engineer (Although still a beginner here, I can at least help with testing the challenges).
[/list]

As for new ideas, I was thinking about challenges where you’d have to create AIs for solving different games. From TicTacToe, Checkers, Chess to more complicated Kalah games (also combining those with some Game Theory concepts which I believe are important to know). Creating some type of CTFs, like monthly ones which can educate and help the community.

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
5 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, I’ll take that into account!

Rambaldi
5 years ago

Hi guys, as i can see the page and the forum is not dead.

I am new, however i hope to be able to help with everything possible.

There are some ideas for new labs:
1. Virtual machines with vulnerabilities.
2. A page where firewalls, and IPS/IDS’s are enabled. (there are some freewares)
3. Option to scan, footprint analyze specific data. For example. find directories, network devices or others.

Greetings all :)

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

Hi all, sorry for bringing back this thread, but I’ve been gone for sometime and I honestly am to lazy to read through the forum. Has anything new happened regarding all this level ideas?

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

No, not really @WHGhost

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

Exactly same @WHGhost

bl4ckh0l3
4 years ago

What a hot and interesting thread! B)
I really hope this site will continue to host old and new challenges, and gives us the opportunity to learn new things; At the same time I totally subscribe the fact that some flags have been solved by a very low number of people, and we have a very low number of flags for some topics (e.g. just one for the forensics and no one for the network/pcap traffic analysis), some of the challenges are broken - the unbelievable and very kind flabbyrabbit already fixed some of them and hes working on some others, but he can’t do everything by himself…we must help him! …but despite everything hackthis is one of the best, active and complete CTF platform. Personally I dont like to solve flags by using local VMs, because its not a feasible and comfortable approach…its not community driven…and I hope HackThis will not follow this trend in the future. Having said that, I hope to be able to give some help soon!
My2cents :p Cheers :)

fred [feuerstein]
4 years ago

I’m sure I could provide some

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
4 years ago

Don’t you worry, HackThis!! will continue to exist and there’ll be some new things added to it, in some time :p

Darwin [DIDIx13]
4 years ago

We should split the Basic+ Intermediate into more precise sections like Networking, Crypto, Web…

That would help to see in which categories challenges are laking.

bl4ckh0l3
4 years ago

I love the @DIDIx13’s proposal!

dimooz
4 years ago

I heard your call @HackingGuy, and I spent a few hours to make a little “cracking level 2”, I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as the first one!
You can access it here.

f0rk [HackingGuy]
4 years ago

I love it @dimooz
Ill be sure to check it out as soon as I have the availability ;P

Thank you!

f0rk [HackingGuy]
2 years ago

CLosing this thread as we have since moved to DefendTheWeb and there are many new and exciting challenges to partake in. :)

Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 32

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss