Chromebook

Z3R074
6 years ago

Im just curious if anyone else is using or has used a chromebook for any of the levels on here.
I thought about compiling a list of apps and extensions that are useful when using one of these for this type of thing.
So far its a mix of really good to downright diabolical. If anyone has any suggestions for apps or browser extensions let me know and I will try them out.
I know I have other options if I mod the OS but I want ones that will work on a standard, unmodified machine.

8replies
4voices
231views
ricksan
6 years ago

Not using a chromebook here, but I am pretty sure most of the levels can be completed by using browser’s developer tools (no additional extensions required). I say this because you can even edit a sent packet and resend it to the server using the dev. tools.

Sure, extensions would do a better job sometimes, but on an unmodified machine, it should work like a charm.

Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago

Is not compulsory use Chromebook, all levels here can be done with Windows or Linux (Some levels are easier in one or other SO)

Sorry to be naive but what would be levels easier on Windows? It doesn’t seem to swing too heavily either way.

Only one that stands out for me is maybe Basic+ Level 1, but that depends on your OS setup. Where as Forensics is hands down easier on Linux. Most of it seems to depend on your browser and browser setup.

ricksan
6 years ago | edited 6 years ago

@Kaninte I totally agree with you.

[quote=@Kaninte]Most of it seems to depend on your browser and browser setup. [/quote]

Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago | edited 6 years ago

You can do all levels on Linux and all levels on Windows (at least the levels i have done) so the SO depends on your knowledge and what do you want to do with it.

I did forensics one using a mix, one part in Linux and the other part in Windows +Kanite

Z3R074
6 years ago

micr0n i know its not compulsory to just use a Chromebook for the levels, I only did it to test the available apps and extension for this type of thing. I have 2 other laptops and 6 pc’s so using a different os or browser isnt an issue. I just wanted to see if one of these would be good enough for the tasks.
Anyway…. conclusion
The apps and extensions available are very limited or they just dont do what they are supposed to do, soyour better off just using the chrome dev tool option.
However the biggest problem encountered is memory, it gets used up very quickly on these machines and you end up with a frozen brick. Not good if your doing something you shouldnt be, but if your only doing something thats not so demanding they are a good small addition to have handy as the battery on mine lasts for around 8hrs

Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago

In the end there is always the possibility of programming your own tools. Good conclusion +Z3R074

@micr0n I know you can use both, I just haven’t found much that makes levels easier or harder on any OS was all I was saying. I was just curious if there were :)

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 9

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss