Really need help!

MELVX
6 years ago

Hey everyone,

I need help, I am really interested about computer security and hacking, but I don’t really know where should I start. I started to “hack” when I was in grade 6, now I don’t really know where to go. Does anyone can help me to where I should beggin to learn “real” hacking?

Thanks!

29replies
9voices
296views
Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago

Hi, you can start doing the levels of Hackthis for the start and little by little you will learn concepts of “real hacking”
Take a look at Real levels ones

x2600
6 years ago

You’re going to want to find a balance in your studies. Learning programming languages is a great start. There is a ton of information to learn, and most people continue to learn even after they’ve become good at a particular area of hacking. Programming will aid you in spotting flaws in code.

Other than programming, challenge sites are a great way to get into the mindset of hacking. You’ll have fun thinking of ways to manipulate the functionality of applications and services. This is one of the best-designed challenge sites around.

Smyler [WHGhost]
6 years ago

You’re right @x2600, finding the correct balance is actually as important as hard when you really enjoy hacking. But studies should always come first.

x2600
6 years ago

@WHGhost agreed. Watching youtube videos, reading, and finding places to use what you’ve learned. You can set up environments for testing, or try challence sites.

soldi3r
6 years ago

There are many things that you should observe in aspects to learn hacking. Basically hacking can’t be learned from the books. It’s an art that you learn as start working on it. More you practice more you learn and this really improves your skills.

To the response of what things really important to learn hacking is the programming and a flexible mind. You should be smart and observe every little thing. And make yourself great with programming languages like python.

Where to start with hacking? Well, you can read a highly detailed article about where to start with hacking.

Smyler [WHGhost]
6 years ago | edited 6 years ago

A books are really important. Hacking is like the see, you know it’s huge and full of things to discover, but if you have no one to lead you, you will just pass nearby lots of very interesting stuff without even knowing they exist. You need to be curious, and so to have a way to learn from others. Youtube videos are great, but are not enough, you will need something that goes more in depth, and that’s something videos don’t do well. As @x2600 said, it’s all about finding the balance, but books are a great way to learn.

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

I agree, you’ll need everything. The only criteria is not the format of the information, but the quality of this information. Reading good books is better than reading bad tutorials or watching bad youtube videos.

Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago

Without books the firsts hackers wouldn’t had exist. Electronic books are also books ;)

x2600
6 years ago

@micr0n That reminded me of a scene from the movie hackers(1995) where they’re all sitting around discussing technical manuals/books. That is pretty much how things were done back in the day. Little bit of nostalgia, found here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113243/faq#.2.1.6

soldi3r
6 years ago

Books are may be helpful but to be dependent on books instead of practical work doesn’t give anything all. So for enriching knowledge, books are good source but when it comes to practice then it’s a very slower to help.

Smyler [WHGhost]
6 years ago

I have a few programming/hacking books on my desk, and when I have something to check, I actually prefer to look at them instead of going to my favorite search engine. It’s better most of the time.

x2600
6 years ago

There’s something nice about reading something in print.

anathem0
6 years ago

I would go and start racking up certs.

1. OSWAP
  2. A+
  3. Security +
  4. Network +
  5. Project +

(Not in that order necessarily) Knock yourself out.

Are 2-5 comptia certs?

anathem0
6 years ago

Cpt_Underpants Yes, 2-5 are CompTIA certs. The other one is by Offensive Security. It’s probably the one you should get last.

Yeah the offensive security certs are very tough. I would recommend looking into Comptia security+ as it is very basic and the CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) as I believe it is a very good starting cert. After that there are other certs which I can’t wait to do such as CISSP and OSCP :P

soldi3r
6 years ago

Everybody have their own taste of priorities, some people go with books but some go with the field work.

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

books and practice are not necessarly different… You can have a theory part in a book, then a practice part. For example: Introduction to modern cryptography, Cryptography Engineering, Practical Malware Analysis, Practical Reverse Engineering, and more…

x2600
6 years ago

And some people think they’re done when they crack open a kali linux box. XD

Goulmy
6 years ago

Do you guys have a “every hacker should read this book” you’d recommend?

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

So true x) For the story, I’ve been at a meetup a few days ago, the speaker was saying that he’ll make a quick explanation on how to crack WEP, someone in the room said “Use Aircrack-ng”

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

I don’t have recommandations for hacking in general, but if you have a specific topic, I can give you books ^^

x2600
6 years ago

I’m trying to think if there are any cult classics. I can think of articles, but I can’t really think of any books.

Goulmy
6 years ago

r4v463 What about a good introduction to how the Internet happened to be and how it works?

I’ll take the link to the articles x2600 :D

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

Wow, how the Internet happened… I haven’t read any specific books about that, that’s more general culture that you learn in IT class. For their fields, the books that I’ve gave as examples before are very good:

[quote=r4v463]For example: Introduction to modern cryptography, Cryptography Engineering, Practical Malware Analysis, Practical Reverse Engineering, and more…[/quote]

I can add some to them, for example, for the history of cryptography and cryptanalysis, The Code Book of Simon Singh is a really good book, and easy to read. “Hacking, The art of exploitation” might be something that could also interest you.

Goulmy
6 years ago

Ok, thanks, I’ll add them to my list.

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

You’re welcome ^^. Note that Practical Malware Analysis and Practical Reverse Engineering, are not from-scratch books, so you might consider to acquire some background in those fields before reading them.

x2600
6 years ago

As far as articles go, you can find a few here:

http://phrack.org/issues/7/3.html
https://www.2600.com/

The reason that I suggest these zines is that I feel it is important to traverse the culture before you get deep into the academics and (especially) practicum. You’ll find a lot of culture in zines. Also, surprisingly, you’ll find quite a bit of relevant information on techniques used today.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 30

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss