Add a Social Engineering Section?

anathem0
6 years ago

Do you guys think that we should add a social engineering section under ‘Hacking & Security.’ Personally, I think it would be great. I really enjoy talking about that stuff and I think it would be a good addition to this community.

7replies
4voices
219views
x2600
6 years ago

I think we could very easily do that here in the General Discussion section. Have you read “The Art of Deception” or “The Art of Intrusion” by Kevin Mitnick? They’re both good reads.

We talk a lot about how computers work, and how to manipulate or circumvent machine processes to produce different results. Often times, the human aspect is completely overlooked by hackers; that said, often times the human element of computer security is the least secure.

What about social engineering interests you most?

anathem0
6 years ago

Yeah, In my line of work I do the main SE. Yes, I have read those. They are really good books. You are correct that it is largely overlooked, that is the easiest way to hack something. It does require a lot of non-anonymity however and that causes some complications.

Hmm, the most interesting part. I would guess how easy it is, it’s also a lot of fun.

x2600
6 years ago

Really? How interesting. Disarming techniques fascinate me.

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

I got you @x2600

x2600
6 years ago

@r4v463 That’s pretty cool, but I was thinking more along the lines of disarming in social engineering.

People are naturally defensive. If I wanted to piggyback into a secured location, I could use one of the following disarming techniques:

1) Walk with the person towards the building. Say something like “Excuse me. You wouldn’t happen to have the time, would you?” Obviously we all have smart phones, so this technique is slightly outdated.
2) Smoke a cigarette outside the target organization. Engage in conversation with other smokers. Smoking by itself with small bits of small-talk is a disarming technique.

Both of these cause people to drop their guard. And there are tons… Social Engineering is about social manipulation. It goes beyond simply what we say. Physical actions, manner of speech, tone of voice, approach, and body language are all parts of this attack.

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

That was a joke x) but I agree with you, but on your example, there are techniques to avoid this risk. For example putting a guard and a door that will let pass only 1 people at a time.

Plasma_16
6 years ago

I also agree w/ you. it would be practical, since a lot of other hackers i know who dont want to have to break in and risk being caught phish people

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 8

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss