Use a distro or create one ?

Darwin [DIDIx13]
6 years ago

Do you use a Linux distro or Windows / Mac? Or did you create your own distro? ;)

5replies
4voices
210views
dimooz
6 years ago

I created my own one many years ago… for fun. Now I use alternatively each of them, depending on the needs.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
6 years ago

May I ask you which one? And the name of your OS :p

SilentKiller44
6 years ago

I use both Kali linux and Windows 10 B) B)

Smyler [WHGhost]
6 years ago

Creating a Linux distribution and using it on a daily basis requires a LOT of time and knowledge. It is very interesting to do as it teaches you how it works. The hard way. If you are interested, there is a project called LFS (Linux From Scratch) which is a book tutorial explaining the different steps, listing compatible program versions etc. It already makes it a lot easier, while staying quite hard.

I personally prefer Arch Linux, which is a good balance between the two.

dimooz
6 years ago

LFS (Linux From Scratch) was the starting point from where my distro gone out. If you ever plan to build your own distro, I suggest you read the book “The C Language” by Kernighan & Ritchie, and/or “Data Structures in C” by Tenenbaum. These both helped me a lot during this particular exercise… Good Luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 6

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss