Kali Linux Or Parrot Os

Kali or parrot?

43replies
22voices
416views
dimooz
6 years ago

I’m sure there are many Kali users on the forum.

f0rk [HackingGuy]
6 years ago

Does it matter?

Smyler [WHGhost]
6 years ago

I guess it doesn’t really @HackingGuy :)

[deleted user]
5 years ago

Parrot OS - Has many hacking tools and comes pre-installed with TOR.

Kali Linux - Does not come installed with TOR but contains more hacking tools

5 years ago

are they legal?

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

Of course, most tools are legal, the problem with legality is always between the screen and keyboard.

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
5 years ago

Having it and using it is legal, it’s what you do with it that is illegal, or not :)

Th3_Fr3d
5 years ago | edited 5 years ago

I use parrot on my small laptop since a few months now. I hadKali installed previously.
There are several reasons why I prefer Parrot OS:

1. in contrast to Kali, Parrot OS is very light weight in terms of resource usage therefore it can easily run on older hardware
  2. Parrot comes with a wider voriety of tools, meaning it has a lot of IDEs/editors and tools for general purpose like the TOR browser
  3. Parrot has a lot of pen testing tools preinstalled (including all of kali’s tools)
  4. I prefer the MATE desktop as it’s more intuitive for me as a windows user :)

the only drawback is that there is not as much documentation available compared to kali, which isn’t that bad actually as there are not that many differences between the systems in terms of usage. So most of the solutions that work for kali work for parrot as well.

But in the end the choice is up to you :)

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago
Mugi [Mugiwara27]
5 years ago

ArchLinux and you make everything from it ? :)

Smyler [WHGhost]

[quote=author]ArchLinux and you make everything from it ? [/quote]
That’s what I do, and there is no thing as lightweight and customizable, and you can find anything in the AUR. I also always have a 64GB encrypted USB drive with two kali installs (one i386 and one x86_64), if I am stuck using something else than my laptop, I can boot from it, and even use it as a rescue CD. Likewise, if I have no internet and really need a tool that I haven’t on my Arch install, I can boot from the USB drive, or even use the tools by chrooting from Arch to Kali. And I also have both Kali and Parrot on some VM. This way I can use just what I need and I still have a backup plan if I am missing anything.

jkabus
5 years ago

i prefer kali since its easier to use. haven`t tried parrot yet but kali got much tools and it doesnt take much of my space

Darwin [DIDIx13]

Kali is easier to use but you never tried to use parrot ? Hmm… B)

How can you tell which one is better

in my opinion i think kali is better than parrot os

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

There is no better here. Just personal tastes.

Rogue_Nova
5 years ago

I have to go with Kali Linux. Its the hackers paradise

fastguy
5 years ago

no guys kalilinux is best about me cause if you use kalilinux or parrot os for a hackers good thing is to now how to write python script and combine these with your kalilinux or parrot os and there is good cause any program or utilities of kalilinux are write by hackers so you are kiddiesscript or real hackers learn scripting for hacking it very important and not system system is very good more again scripting precisely in pyhton

fastguy
5 years ago

i like python because is best in hacking and in every things in technology

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

@fastguy sorry, by it is hard to understand you. But I disagree with your last post, Python is not the ‘best’ programming language. It is a very convinient one, which I really like by the way, but there can’t be a ‘best’ programming language, it’s all a matter of use cases. And the same goes for OSs.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

@fastguy What are you talking about ?

Python isn’t the best language at all, it’s useful for little tricky code but that’s not the case in technology or whatever

I feel like your message are obfuscated

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

Python has a lot of different use cases, and it is used for professional projects.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

@WHGhost Professional projects yes, it’s not a multi-tool neither, you can’t replace C / Go / Haskell with python or any .NET language

I love python, but you can’t use it for everything

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

Yes, but the doesn’t mean it is not “useful in technology”, whatever that means exactly.

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

Stay on focus of the thread guys ;)

It doesn’t matter which distro you want to use… the important thing is you can do whatever you want to do… for me you can master them both but again unnecessary but helpful if there is a distro specific penetration testing.

Rambaldi
5 years ago

Hi there,

I used both, but i prefer Parrot OS.

Reasons: less resources and better structure of the preinstalled tools.
Better looking as well haha.

Greetings.

Reply has been removed
fastguy
5 years ago

didix13 k see your counterattack it just you have reason but in hacking script python Excel there we are
Convenantt

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

Sorry @fastguy, but I have no idea of what you are trying to say.

Moribus
5 years ago

My take, if you intend to use it as a main os, use Parrot, if only as a vm use kali.

Kali isn’t designed as a main os, I still do it though :P

So the question really is, which one do you want? All the tools one has, can be installed on the other, and mostly any other linux distro for that matter.

Maybe try both in a VM.

But my ONLY gripe with Parrot OS is the command line, even though it looks fancy, it is confusing to me :P

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

I don’t think that any of them is meant to be a main driver for anything else than pentesting. The very fact that you are running as root on both of them says a lot. In fact, I would advise using a separate os for anything related to Hacking, and a VM if you still want to use your main computer, as dual booting isn’t a good idea either. An other solution is to use a cheap laptop with the distribution of your choice to keep your main computer safe. You have to remember that to attack, you often have to lower your defenses. Having a separate burner computer is also a must if you want to intend any Hacking conference.

fastguy
5 years ago

WGHost python hacking it a monster language find even you use tor in deppweb you will see guys change python script to defferent attack so it just. i have an idea before to tell a thing find more reports python is for any person who like this but hackers like python tell me just why ?and find this to secure webapp and python have many library to use so why you are septic ?

Reply has been removed
fastguy
5 years ago

WGHost i know why you persist it a problem of passion i use that cause i like hacking in any plateform and i program in other language but my goal is hacking. in hacking it why i tell about python so i like you WGHost to your intervention it constructif can you want to become my friend ? I like any Guy who think zs you it cool and for more information facebook have a project to change any JavaScript code source in python cause for server it lasy but python it very fast than PHP and JavaScript it simple to hack but in python it secure

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

@fastguy sorry, but it is very hard to understand your posts, so I will to try to do my best to answer, but the language barrier might be a factor here.
You seem to misunderstand my point: I’m not sceptic towards Python’s capabilities, it is one of my favorite languages and I use it everyday for various purpose, including information security. I don’t deny the fact that it is massively used in the Hacking field and that most hackers love it.
BUT: I stand by the position that python is not the “best” programming language for hacking, for the very simple reason that I don’t think that one exists. Programming, even when restricted to hacking, is still a very wide field, where specific tasks require specific tools. For example, you may want to use Java to develop an android payload. Various tools developed by hackers, for hackers, are not made with python (Metasploit, burp, Nmap, and so on are mostly not python). And in the end, it’s also a personal taste.

So yes, we love python, but it does not make it the ultimate solution to everything.

This is not this thread’s topic so if you want to keep talking about that, I invite you to create a dedicated thread to Python’s use in security, so we can talk about it while keeping the forum clean.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

Damn it’s very hard to understand the meaning of your sentences @fastguy

dloser
5 years ago

What sentences?

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

True can’t even quote him. Nonsense

chosky
4 years ago

It depends, because if you already use kaly linux you know that you have a very big suite of tools for pentesting, but if you want yo use it like you OS central that’s gonna be a headache, because you need to configure the OS for connections of peripheral hardware.
If you like parrot, parrot have 3 tipes of SO, one to be only pentesting, other to server and other to user experience with some security tools.
Both of them are development in a debian SO.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
4 years ago | edited 4 years ago

I was assuming we would use all those OS as VM on a Windows or macOS host

Smyler [WHGhost]
4 years ago

Don’t assume everyone runs Windows or OSX please, and try a regular Linux distro if you haven’t

Darwin [DIDIx13]
4 years ago

I find it more convenient to use a windows/macOS host and use VM

For 2 years I used kali as host and it was horrible for hardware etc, so I used Ubuntu and virtual box for VM and it was way better (at work we use windows)

Now I have a Macbook pro with macOS Mojave and virtual box with vagrant. A BlackArch Linux and a Windows 10 and it’s so nice to sue and work on those.

So I ssh into vagrant box so I can have shared folders easily with vagrant and easy headless VM management (also learning to use docker)

_tigress_
4 years ago

Definitely prefer Parrot OS. Totally my choice.

fred [feuerstein]
4 years ago

@tigress but why?

fecklewick
4 years ago

kali, on windose VM and i have on my Rpi 3 & 4 cards

Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 44

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss