Flashing Kali

AceWhole
5 years ago

When I try to flash Kali it always fails. I am using Etcher to flash and I downloaded the img file from Offensive Security site.

Is it most likely my img download, the flashing process, or the flashing program?

Thanks!

6replies
3voices
229views
fred [feuerstein]
5 years ago

[quote=AceWhole]…it always fails.[/quote] is not the detailed description to help you. Does it fail while flashing or is it not running on your destination? Is it for a RPi?

AceWhole
5 years ago | edited 5 years ago

The program, Etcher, claims the flash fails. I had one img pass the flashing but the pi wouldn’t boot it. I’ve since tried the img for pi 2+3. There are a few choices for img files and I’m not sure the differences.

When I get home tonight I will look up the img names and give you a better description. I just thought there might be a common issue like a faulty download and I should redownload- so I tried to kept the post simple.

Also, yes. I’m trying to set it up on a RPi B 3+

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

Make sure the checksum of the file you downloaded matches the one provided by the mirror, that will ensure your image is not corrupted. Your SD card may also be faulty. After flashing the image, you computer should at least detect the new boot partition on the SD card as it is fat32.

AceWhole
5 years ago

Even when it fails I can see the boot partition. I never verified it, that might be it. If the check sum doesn’t match up, just re-download it and check again right?

Thanks for the help. I usually just need a prod in the right direction, lol.

AceWhole
5 years ago

I verified the file this morning and it was good. I figured I would try flashing it again for the 7th time, turns out the 6th time had flashed successfully!

Thank you again for the help feuerstein and WHGhost!

Smyler [WHGhost]
4 years ago

You are welcome, have fun with the pi!

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 7

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss