Buffer Overflow

testing935
6 years ago

What can you tell me about the Buffer Overflow fault?
I read a lot of things (articles, videos, demonstration) but I understand this flaw that on the teoric aspect
I know what it’s all about but I would like people to qualify really explain or ridicule me to clear articles, then nothing better than a hacker forum
lol
Thank you in advance for your answer :)

3replies
3voices
200views
SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

It’s hard to explain further if we don’t know what you already know and what you want to learn. I’m sure you’ve already read that, but a buffer overflow happens when a variable will holds a content larger than it’s size in memory. In general it will make the program crash, but if the overflow is correctly done by the attacker, then it can executes what is call a shellcode, which corresponds to instructions written by the attacker.

testing935
6 years ago | edited 6 years ago

This confirms what I read on the “La pile du programme” ^^ ‘
So it’s good I understood x)

It would be cool an article on it
On hackthis

In the meantime, for the French who read this post
Good Youtube and watch this LONG video

and

L00PeR
6 years ago

Buffer overflow:
You are allowed to use: x
But you can use: 2x
Because in 2x+1 the return address is written and if you overwrite it will make the program crush
Sou you nop x, write the shellcode on 2x, and write your new return address on 2x+1 so jumps to the NOP sled and executes the payload.

Maybe practicing can help you: http://overthewire.org/wargames/narnia/

One last thing, you don’t wanna always execute a shellcode, sometimes you just need to change the program flow, or to change a var ;p

Good luck and Happy Hacking

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 4

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss