Assistance Understanding

24 bit

p3ncr4ck
4 years ago

I’ve finished this level, but in no small part thanks to the Forums. My question is this - how would you know that this file should be opened using >> Paint or a similar application? I understand that certain file types have certain signatures, but there’s a tremendous number of file types out there. It wouldn’t be practical to attempt to get your hands on every application so is there some type of application that can analyze a file to identify what the real file type is? I’m trying to translate this to a real world scenario so that in the future, if I see a text file that has binary I will have the tools necessary to identify its actual file type. Thanks in advance!

5replies
4voices
208views
Muzec
4 years ago

Do you analyzer the file??

p3ncr4ck
4 years ago

Yes, I combed through the file top to bottom and even performed a find and replace on some of the characters (that aren’t human readable) to see if I could identify something or some type of pattern. I actually found some tools that help narrow down file types and they were able to identify this files' real file type. I guess the trigger for someone in the real world would be to run any text files that contains binary through a similar type of file analyzer to try and narrow down what the file type should be.

Muzec
4 years ago

Through file analyzer u can find clue with the help of google you can know which tools to use

fred [feuerstein]
4 years ago

Have a look for a hexeditor to see the real values and maybe you will find some magic bytes

playerk3tt0
4 years ago | edited 4 years ago

I think, you should write to the “Solutions” section on the forum next time.
I’m trying not to give away much.

1) you can search for an online file type check tool …
2) you can download many file type check application …
3) or the the perfect method is what @feuerstein wrote - hex editor is always your friend. :)

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 6

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss