Requiring Assistance

Secure agent

Te0tl
5 years ago

Hey,

Brand new to the site! This is the first mission which is actually giving me any trouble. I already know how to switch user agents in Firefox using both the manual override as well as an add-on, however neither one of these solutions has proven fruitful.

Could I be having issues switching the UA because I am accessing HackThis through TOR? (Don’t worry, I’m fastidious enough to be using _ and not - and these kinds of mistakes.)

Thanks in advance!

2replies
2voices
182views
Reply has been removed
Mugi [Mugiwara27]
5 years ago

Why accessing HackThis through TOR tho?

Te0tl
5 years ago

Well, I’m not anymore. It makes things too difficult, for example in the flash game level I wanted to edit the .FLA version of the .SWF and submit the high score from my computer, client-side, that way (just because I wanted the practice messing with flash) and I couldn’t get it to work because the getURL function uses the default browser, and it is nigh impossible to make TOR the default on my operating system. I said screw it and switched to my normal browser.

I could not locate the socks-proxy options in my Burp Suite either (looked everywhere), although a clean install yielded the socks settings where they’re meant to be.

As to why? In my country, government agencies such as the NSA, FBI, DHS, etc, monitor web traffic, key words, etc looking for “terrorists” and possible dissidents. There are subjects that I will not even read about or query online unless I’m using TOR or another secure or semi-secure routing service. I can guarantee that using this site or another like it from a normal clear-net connection is a huge red flag for the agencies I’ve mentioned, and is inviting further scrutiny and the invasion of my privacy. So, although this is technically legal and I have nothing real to hide, I guess I was accessing HackThis through TOR just on principle.

Also- I beat this level using devtools, finally! :)

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 3

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss