Help please?

Beach

Tony [tomcat1118]
10 years ago

So, I’m completely lost :P I’ve changed the .jpg to a .txt to see what I could see, and other than a lot of jibberish only found the whole “ASCII I like chocolateRelatedSound” via notepad. Obviously that has something to do with the answer but I’m not sure what. Any hints that could lead me in the right direction, like maybe a link to something I need to know in order to complete the level? Also, I’ve heard a lot about these “hex editor” things, what exactly do they “DO” that I can’t do with say Notepad? Help please? (:

53replies
21voices
2,447views
2images
[deleted user]
10 years ago

tomcat118: look carefully through the text of the picture file there is a name and a clue to the password in it so keep looking mate it is in there! :)

Tony [tomcat1118]
10 years ago

Alrighty, will keep looking! Could you explain a little about what hex editor does? (or, if I’m viewing say this file in one, how I’m supposed to read it?)

[deleted user]
10 years ago

The HEX editor does exactly that it converts all the data contained in any file into a Hexadecimal Format. The definition is: The hexadecimal number system (also called base-16) is a number system that uses 16 unique symbols to represent a particular value. Those symbols are 0123456789 and ABCDEF. A=10 B=11 and so on to F which equals 16. OK? :)

Tony [tomcat1118]
10 years ago

Alright thank you :) I’ll have to research it a bit more, seems useful

[deleted user]
10 years ago

It also converts the data to ASCII Characters so you can read it:

[deleted user]
10 years ago

No problem you are welcome. :)

Wibben
10 years ago

just as a hint the answers are both lowercase and the username is a name and the password… Something that seems out of place

Tony [tomcat1118]
10 years ago

Thanks guys, working through it ^.^

[deleted user]
10 years ago

It could also be something that the Aztec’s said was poison. It played a special role in both Maya and Aztec royal and religious events. How’s that for a clue?? :)

Wibben
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

ANONRA, shouldn’t the hexadecimals start from the visible characters? Or am I just recalling how to convert binary to hexadecimal? You did that much research? Well let me add to it: It is usually made from the fruit of a plant that makes you hyper (they plant was found by a goat guy who noticed that his goats were hyperactive)

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Zero in hex is simply zero. Here is the Binary to Decimal to Hex chart!
OK? :)

Wibben
10 years ago

Okay, thanks for clearing things up

[deleted user]
10 years ago

No problem mate you are welcome anything to help! :)

Tony [tomcat1118]
10 years ago

._. So, let’s say I open this thing in a hex editor… Do I just look through the “text” column until I find something? o.o

Wibben
10 years ago

idk, but you know that the user name is a name, and the password is told to you in the hints from me and ANONRA, you can just find these things in lower case and finish the level. Personally I don’t think you need a hax editor, but let me check again

Tony [tomcat1118]
10 years ago

Well, the only name I could find was >> Kim Miae but it’s supposed to be lower case, hmm.

Wibben
10 years ago

well after searching through it, I found the username on the first line, it requires a bit of searching on my part but my hint to you is: the username is the name of a large film series featuring an international spy who is allowed to kill when needed

Tony [tomcat1118]
10 years ago

I almost facepalmed, literally.. Thank you Wibben! I shall try to do the rest on my own :)

Wibben
10 years ago

no problem, have fun and hope you the best in your progress through the levels

[deleted user]
10 years ago

You are correct Wibben you don’t need a HEX editor as notpad would do just as well or even notepad++

[deleted user]
10 years ago

I think it is about time I went to bed Sean as it is ten past two in the morning here . Night all.

Wibben
10 years ago

??? I don’t really get what you are saying, Sean? Who is Sean and why are you addressing this person on this forum?

Troy [TroyMac1ure]
10 years ago

lol. I think he meant “seen” as in “since it is”. Must be late!

Wibben
10 years ago

oh okay… YAY my forum posting problem is fixed!

neo_V
10 years ago

why is level 2 not working? am new at this so idk

Wibben
10 years ago

I don’t really know, I think it’s down because it was either redundant or not working properly, or the admin just wanted to get rid of it or add it in the future.

neo_V
10 years ago

ok so i found the username, now is the password a real password or a clue to the password?

neo_V
10 years ago

oh am talking about level 4

Wibben
10 years ago

the password is a real password. It’s actually provided to you in the comments the author has written for the png

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Hey neo_V , we cannot give you the username and password. It is quite simple look at the data within the picture file and use your brain. It is a real name for the username and the password is also in the data but further down by quite a bit. If you read the clues given before on this forum you should be able to work out what the password is. OK

Wibben
10 years ago

Also, we have already given some big hints for the usename and password in this thread, just read and look around

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Hi Wibben how are you today?

Wibben
10 years ago

great, actually got 100% completion of the levels. gtg, school now

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Catch you later Wibben……….

[deleted user]
10 years ago

neo_V you got the answer yet?? :)

Kabue

[quote=ANONRA]Those symbols are 0123456789 and ABCDEF. A=10 B=11 and so on to F which equals 16.[/quote]
F = 15 ;) not 16. But you probably know that, since it is in that scheme you shared here ^_^. (10 hex = 16 decimal).
(and congratz on 250 posts ;) and ~2 rank)

Good luck Neo_V ;) took me some time to figure out which part I had to use for password……
-Kabue

Tony [tomcat1118]
10 years ago

Finally got it last night! I’m learning so much from this site it’s almost overwhelming! :) I think it’s good though, it gets us researching and thinking.

[deleted user]

Well done tomcat1118 keep up the good work! :)

Wibben
10 years ago

keep going tomcat, you will learn more than ever on this site than in some classroom.

mehulkj.jain
10 years ago

working on it from last night but could not get the password…
found the username though

mehulkj.jain
10 years ago

huh got it…
by using common sense

JuniorAnon
10 years ago

i cant download the file, when i press on the link it redirects me to another page and doesnt download the file

Wibben
10 years ago

right click the link and click “save as”

jaeween
10 years ago

im lost, anyone could help me…

nephi12
10 years ago

I found the username but i have no idea about the password, pls help.

binboo
10 years ago

GOT it ! thank you for this post and some hints. You can easily get the username and password without even opening it using notepad or hex editor. View the properties of the image and you’ll see and also the password is a trial and error. :D

thebeastlife56
6 years ago

you guys are ruining the fucking fun. dont give hints about fucking aztec poison and shit. make it a little vaguer. some of us like the chase

Alien [necromonger]
5 years ago | edited 5 years ago

@thebeastlife56 – people who curse show their lack of intellect. Seriously, please *try * to keep it clean!

Th3_Fr3d

Well i wrote a script that extracts all “useful” (a-z A-Z 0-9 and space) characters for me. The result is a text file with some promising usernames / passwords in it. So i wrote another script to try to brute force this challenge based on my text file as dictionary. the only problem is that for one the server is freaking slow (it took my script like 30 mins to go through like 10 possible usernames and 20 possible passwords) but what’s even worse is that i still didn’t solve the challenge (and yes the brute force script was using my session cookie).

My question is: Are there any special characters in the password that my first script could have kicked out???

(Btw i read the other comments only briefly to not spoil the whole challenge for me. I just wanna know if I am on the right track)

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
5 years ago

Wow you’re overthinking the challenge, don’t forget it’s a “Basic” level, so you don’t need to overdo it like you do

Check the level’s hint and search on Google what you don’t get in the hint and you’ll learn things that’ll lead you to the answer :)

Good luck!

anoni
5 years ago

don’t over think it,,

do what you would normally do with a picture that you like, and then follow the hint

Darwin [DIDIx13]

He already completed it two months ago @anoni :p

And this is a weird hint what does “do what you would normally do with a picture that you like” even mean? Use it as a wallpaper?

gcooper77
4 years ago

OMFG,

This forum helped figure it out but it’s so simple that I’m angry it took me 3 days to figure out. Thanks for the clues.

3 replies have been removed
Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 54

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss