Alternatives To NMAP + Some Hints

Map it

theMunchBox
7 years ago | edited 7 years ago

Hello. I’ve made this post to help people who are struggling to complete this level; especially those who don’t have nmap installed. Digging through this forum, all I see are people talking about nmap and all it’s [s]bullshit[/s] features it has. “nmap is a great choice for this level”, “when I read the description, I instantly thought of nmap” etc.

The funny thing here is, all the people who “use” nmap can’t seem to find the answer. I read a post someone made on this forum saying he tried all types of scans (stealth, passive, aggressive) to no avail. However, the real question remains:

Is there a way to complete this level without nmap?

There is a tool that is installed by default in most linux OS. The simplicity of this tool guarantees you’ll get the answer without all the other extra, no-one asked-for information other tools tell you for… _(?)_/. Effective, solid, good, this tool deserves to be in every hacker’s toolkit.

The tool that is clearly superior is netcat.

I don’t have time to go in great detail about it, but you can open up your terminal and man netcat to learn about all of it’s features; some of it, nmap lacks in. The manual is straightforward, informative, good, solid, and funny.

I’m not here to give a how-to but I will give out a few hints:[list]
[]Knowledge about the previous level (Basic+ Level 6) will be helpful
[
]Learning about whatever tool you are using will also be helpful
[]If you get multiple open ports, there’s nothing wrong with attempting to connect to them. A little trial and error has not hurt anybody
[
]Since the specific port isn’t given to us, the next smart thing to do is to scan for all 65 535 ports[/list]
If you used nmap, and have read through this post, I hope you still got something out of it.

Hope this helps! :)

4replies
5voices
238views
7 years ago

What is this nmap…

atomize
7 years ago

[quote=“8873561576”]What is this nmap…[/quote]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+nmap%3F

Bechma
6 years ago

Great post, I didn’t know about the other functions of nc :D

script01
6 years ago

nmap is used to finiding ports on a network @ 8873561576

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 5

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss