Stuck at layer 1 and 2

Dante's Inferno

Fimbulvetr
5 years ago

Hello everybody,
this is the first time I need to open a thread to solve a challenge, which means that I am pretty desperate!

From Layer 1 I got the “quote”

From layer 2 I got the clue the tells me how to use that quote and a number.

So now I have a number and a password, but I do not understand what to do with them.

I believe that layer 1 still hides something, because I have not decrypted the “noisy” pixels yet, but how do I use the two things I have?

Layer 1 looks like the result of an encryption via random bytes, but we would need to know both the seed and the algorithm used to generate the random values!

Am I missing something? :/

27replies
10voices
562views
dloser
5 years ago

Everything you need is given, I think. Save the “password” for later. That number… yeah… what could it mean… hmmm… thinks back

Fimbulvetr
5 years ago

Hmm nope, I have thought about several ways to manipulate the data using that number but I still got nothing… is there anyone I can PM for a little help?

Xephties
5 years ago

Is layer 2 supposed to look corrupted or have I done something wrong? It looks different depending on what I open it with

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

No it shouldn’t be corrupted. You probably didn’t complete the process needed to get layer2 correctly.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago | edited 5 years ago

I’m like

![Image](https://media1.tenor.com/images/fb3f2d1e814190100a4ae401b1660d5b/tenor.gif)
Fimbulvetr
5 years ago

I am so close to giving up

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
5 years ago

Giving up is way more easier than giving it another try though :p

PNTSTR
5 years ago

I gave up more than 3 times. It is hard to live with it until you do it.

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

I promise you all that anyone could complete this challenge. While it is a daunting task, all it requires is knowledge in the corresponding field and intuition. While it is most definitely helpful to have experience, it’s not necessarily required. Good luck challenging guys and keep persevering! :)

Fimbulvetr
5 years ago | edited 5 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the support , I’ll see how many different ways to use the information will come to my mind before it totaly stops being fun .__.

Is the number found in layer2 supposed to be used as a decryption key?

playerk3tt0
4 years ago

[quote=HackingGuy]I promise you all that anyone could complete this challenge.[/quote]

Dear HackingGuy,

May you help me to be that anybody? :D
I would like to have that knowledge what you have talked about.

Thank you!

dloser
4 years ago

What? My “hints” aren’t good enough for you?! I’m very hurt… :‘(

playerk3tt0
4 years ago

Dear @dloser,
Your hints are quite great … I’m just so lost. :\

playerk3tt0
4 years ago

I’m focusing on this challenge so much … but … it is quite … complex. :\

dimooz
4 years ago

Good luck!

Crypt Level 9
Attempts: 11 Duration: 650 days
Completed

fred [feuerstein]
4 years ago

Oh you were off some time then?

Attempts: 3 Duration: 21 days

dimooz
4 years ago

Yes indeed ^^ And I had a first look at what the level is in my first days here, but completed it only at the end.

playerk3tt0
4 years ago

How could you solve it in 21 days? GOOD JOB! O_O

fred [feuerstein]
4 years ago

I was a bit excited when I came to this site and so I rushed it a bit within a month or so

dimooz
4 years ago

Within a month!? nice job, really. I wish i could have done it as quickly as you!

fred [feuerstein]
4 years ago

I was a bit addicted and spent too many hours for it ;) but it was a great journey as I never did something similar before (hacking)

f0rk [HackingGuy]
4 years ago

Yeah same except this was my first site to ever see involving hacking, so via the learning process:

Attempts: 2 Duration: 840 days

RIP

and @playerk3tt0 if you really wanna solve it just don’t stop working at it ;)
eventually you’ll come back to it with new methods of finding data and figure out another part. Until then goodluck!

playerk3tt0
4 years ago

@HackingGuy : Thank you, I won’t give it up. :)

playerk3tt0
4 years ago

I could make a tiny progress. I found a hint and I started writing a program.
I tried different tools too. Nothing works yet, but I hope that, I’m on the right track. :)

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
4 years ago

Attempts: 82 Duration: 531 days

I had some tough time with this one tho! Same as @HackingGuy , I was in a learning process sooo 531 days were needed to learn all these things :p

@feuerstein you rock! But if I can recall well, @dloser made it in 18days or so

Darwin [DIDIx13]
4 years ago

@dloser doesn’t count he is a robot with quantum experimentations.

Wait for a quantum-resistant algorithm :D

fred [feuerstein]
4 years ago

Thank you @Mugiwara27

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 28

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss