what am i doing wrong?

Intro 8

quad02
4 years ago

i found what looks to be binary code in the txt file but when i try to decode it i get either nothing or boxes with weird symbols in them

4replies
3voices
218views
fred [feuerstein]
4 years ago

read the hint :)

The coder has made the same mistake as level 4 but this time at least he has tried to protect the password. The password has been encrypted, convert the binary into something that is easier for humans to read (base 16).

If you think you have the right answer but it isn’t being accepted, submit your answer in CAPITALS.

dimooz
4 years ago

It’s pretty simple, the binary code needs to be translated in something humanly readable. That can be done with some basic tool in your computer, or just an ASCII table. Use your brain. Good luck!

fred [feuerstein]
4 years ago | edited 4 years ago

Nah, no ASCII-Table is needed here. Just convert the binary (base2) to another numeral system (base16 maybe ;)) If you didn’t know it is called base2 becase it has a fixed base and each digit has an incremented exponent like 20 21 23 etc.

Here each nibble (4 bits) represents 1 digit in base16. Should be clear? With 4 digits in base2 you have 24=16 possibilities :D Do I really have to go even deeper?

Ok one little hint: how do you write down figures? Like 1,2,3 etc. Don’t think about ASCII representation, CHARS or STRINGS, just write that numbers down.

quad02
4 years ago

i figured it a while ago but thanks for the help much appreciated

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 5

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss