Criptonomicon [book]

Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago

It’s curious how in off-topic section we have a music, films and games, but not book section!!

One friend recommend me this book, “Criptonomicon”, and i read it. The English version have 900 pages and all are about the WW2, Enigma, cryptography and more stuff. I highly recommend this book and I wonder if anyone have already read it.

12replies
9voices
245views
Elian
6 years ago

Hi, thank you for sharing, I did not know this one.

“The Code Book, The Secret History of Codes and Code Breaking” by Simon Singh is rather cool with these ten coded messages for readers to crack, and is translated into several languages.

https://simonsingh.net/books/the-code-book/the-book/

Obviously it is not really… a novel ;-)

Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago

I will take a look to that book, thank you.

Criptonomicon is a novel too, so there are few real characters (like Turing) and others who are invented.

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

The Code Book is really cool. I didn’t read the Criptonomicon, but I’ll take a look at it.

is it not “Cryptonomicon”

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

According to Google, you’re right :p

Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago

In english version is Cryptonomicon, but in spanish version is Criptonomic, so all are right :D

I only know of the necronomicon

Micr0n [micr0n]
6 years ago

@Elian

I have just finished to read The Code Book by Simon Singh, the book you recommended me.
The part i liked the most was the quantum computers and how that are related into cryptography. If the book was written in 1999, i can’t imagine what the NSA or CIA has been developing until today…

What other books have you guys read?

SilentKiller44
6 years ago

Post the ebook links

SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago

In crypto I can recommend two other books: Cryptography Engineering of Bruce Schneier, Niels Ferguson and Tadayoshi Kohno, and Introduction to Modern Cryptography of Yehuda Lindell and Jonathan Katz. Those books are really good and will give you a lot of knowledge in modern cryptography, which is the topic that is lacking in The Code Book.

f0rk [HackingGuy]
6 years ago | edited 6 years ago

I can recommend one other book as well: An Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography / Edition 2 by Jeffrey Hoffstein, Jill Pipher, and Joseph H. Silverman.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
6 years ago

Nice joke with Necronomicon (nice book too hahaha)

Reply has been removed
You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 13

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss