Any J programmers?

Chloranthy
7 years ago

I was wondering if there are any J programmers out there like me? I don’t know all that many.
If so, what made you learn that language? :D

If you don’t know what J is, read about it here:
http://www.jsoftware.com/

6replies
5voices
209views
dloser
7 years ago

Yeah, not sure there are many out there that know that kind of language. Most programming courses are more focused on software engineering, where these languages are perhaps less suited. ;)

But perhaps you can tell us why you learned it and why others should too?

tl0tr
7 years ago | edited 7 years ago

Wow, when you said J software before in the other thread I thought you meant Java but this is something completely different.

Thanks for sharing the link and do let ua know why you choose this language.

Chloranthy

Haha thank you for being the first ones to humor me :D

I’ve had about 3-4 years of experience with the J language and I’ve actually come to quite love a few things about the language:

1) I feel that the terseness of the syntax allows me to think through problem to ms more effectively. Being able to add up all the numbers from 1 to 10 with a simple+/@:>:@:i. 10 (>: = > : Damn J-hating emojis).
is unimaginably fun. While I certainly understand the appeal of conventional languages when doing group work (J code tends to have an inverse relationship between code quality and code readability), it is my go-to language when I’m doing things by myself.
2) I like the logic behind the J language. When approaching programming problems in J, you have to have less of a “loop based” logic system and more of a “table-based” or “array-based” logic system. It’s hard to articulate what I mean in a very concrete way, and this is all purely based on my own, fallible experience.
3) Even more on problem solving, I feel like J lets me spend less time “coding” and more time “programming.” ;)
And as to how I got involved in this language? I have a certain mentor who introduced me to it awhile back. I would have never heard of it otherwise.

b1nary

interesting , never saw J but i have been working a little bit with Haskell and Clojure , which are functional programming languages a little bit like j , and all i got to say is …. fuck them lol , i mean they certainly give you a complete new point of view and approach to the problems , but lol switching from imperative programming languages to this one is like a mind blow , its like saying you gona switch to Right-handed while you been Left-handed your whole life lol. but in the end i got to agreed with you , at least with clojure, i have seen that it leads to better code quality. buuuuut im gonna keep sticking with imperative programming languages lol.

btw there are some nice hybrid languages such as scala which are worth learning

Chloranthy
7 years ago

Haha fair enough, fair enough. Although I will mention there is a book out there for people such as yourself who would have to switch programming paradigms: “J for C Programmers” by Henry Rich. It’s free on the web with a quick google search.

I became proficient in J before anything else (although I had previously began learning an OOP language), and I’m catching up with other languages (right now I’m working on sharpening my Python). So for me, the conventional programming world is the odd one rather than J. ?

tehron
7 years ago

Single letter programming languages surely can’t be any good!!

C is the best!! (Oh….)

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 7

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss