creating my own VPN

VoidSignal
8 years ago

Intro:
After a LOT of reading I have finally come to the conclusion, getting some proper hardware together and hosting my own VPN. I don’t want to rely on a VPS-Host, insecure proxies or the tor network in order to hide my traffic. I am aiming for complete control over my system, if it is more insecure than any casual VPS-Hosting service, then I will just have to learn more and grow with my mistakes, BUT if their system, which I would be paying for on a monthly base fails, then I am angry I wasted my money :D. -

better do it yourself :D

What does my system need to ?
1) Consists of VP-Servers (nodes)
-

redirects traffic
(If i understand the theory right, each node could be a virtual server instance, meaning with an 8 core (+8 hyperthreads) I could theoretically (if all other hardware requirements are met) create 16 virtual servers. Essentially, I want to use the servers to not only hide my computer IP, but especially my service provider given IP.

so in theory the network would look something like this:
Computer

- > ISP Router
my VPN
-> WWW

tldr:
create a network with virtual proxy servers that reroute traffic, until it gets hard to trace.

2) big data computations (genetic algorithms) often python, c++ and java

–> the reason for 2 sockets.

Hardware

This is briefly what I am aiming for ( I am very open to more detailed suggestions, although I am not expecting product suggestions)
- Mainboard with 2 sockets
- 1 CPU for VPS, 1 CPU for computations ( I will probably pick 8 core with 8 hyperthreads for VPS and something more powerful with higher caches for biological computations)
- 12x 16gb ram
- Network Interface? Not sure yet.

Questions

1) I have read some things about shadow, a testing environment for TOR servers. But from what I have read creating an own TOR environment is not as secure as TOR, because you don’t nearly have the computing power for the amount of nodes + every node you own, has been bought by you, and is therefore tracable to your name. (read this on reddit)
Now, my question is: If I dynamically change the IPs associated with my node servers and send packets through this network a specific amount of time before it gets sent to the www - shouldnt it be pretty hard to trace? And besides why exactly would my name be associated to any of my VPN nodes ??

2) Can I hide my protocols on all layers using a VPN ?

3) Linux RedHat or Ubuntu for proxy server type applications ?

4) Hardware requirements for this application (note: I will be the only person sending traffic from this VPN, thus the only one receiving traffic, so my guess, I nor need much computing power, neither much disk space per node)
Please feel free to give any tips related to hardware, especially on network interface.

Thanks for your time guys :)

7replies
8voices
236views
ERGY13
8 years ago

otherwise you can also use OpenVPN available in the repositories of most Linux disptibutions …

VoidSignal
8 years ago

Thanks, looks great so far :)

2 replies have been removed
mimi78
8 years ago

thanks^^ everybody

3 replies have been removed
sali27
7 years ago

Thanks man I will try

reada
7 years ago

how to create vpn

Smyler [WHGhost]
7 years ago

I am not a pro, but I have some knowledge about VPN and VM, and there are some point that looks strange to me…

I don’t understand, where are you going to host your server?

Also, if you are the only one using the vpn, which will always have the same IP, then you will be easy to identify…

Having all the Nodes on the same computer means they all have the same IP and so they are useless, the computer itself becoming an exit node.

From the server’s lan, it would be like this:

–IpSec encrypted data–>Server (can’t see the nodes)–plain data–>router–>www

There might be a way to have some kind of bridge mode for the VM instead of Nat mode, but from the internet, the node are still useless…

Maybe I am wrong, if so please, explain, I am very interested about what you are doing.

reada
7 years ago

thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 8

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss