Servers, Servers, and more Servers!

BlackVikingPro
7 years ago

Hello, HackThis!!

I’m now getting into building/managing dedicated servers. I now have a home server setup (actually 2 servers, running about 7 different services). I would like some advice on this matter if you guys would be so kind as to give me some :).

I would like to know, for a dedicated server, which would have something like Apache, TeamSpeak3, Bots, FTP, SSH, and whatever else types of services on the server; what kind of hardware do I need for something like this?

Also, what are some good server operating systems? I currently am using Ubuntu Server 16.04 (Xenial), though I’ve heard that CentOS is pretty good for servers.

I would like something secure and fast too, also something that has lots of storage and great specs (without breaking the bank hopefully). I kind of want to start small though for now, like running a few services on the server.

So really, what type of servers should I be looking for? I’ve heard of Rackmount Servers, Storage Servers, and a couple more, but for this purpose and running these services, what type of server should I really look into getting?

Thanks in advance!

2replies
2voices
174views
BlackVikingPro
7 years ago

Also, which ones would be the cheapest servers for things like SSH, TeamSpeak, and maybe a Minecraft and Garry’s Mod server (maybe a couple more)?

Smyler [WHGhost]
7 years ago | edited 7 years ago

I am running a Minecraft server with my own home server I built from various computers going to trash, but it handled it well, with a core2 duo so… The thing for Minecraft is the ram, and if you got more than two players at the same time (loading different zones) you will need about 2 to 4 Gigs dedicated to java. With that said, I only run Minecraft, apache, ssh, ftp and few other small servers, so adding other game server would need more power.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 3

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss