NASA plans to open source its code

Hackay
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share this article I found :
http://gigaom.com/2014/04/03/nasa-plans-to-open-source-its-code-in-a-searchable-database/

It explains that NASA is going to share its old code (climate simulators, rocket guidance systems, etc.) with the public in order to make technology transfer faster. NASA will host the code online by next year.

This will be an amazing source of new projects to come…

And it seems to be in the mood of the times : MS-DOS and Word

16replies
5voices
258views
4 replies have been removed
Abhi
9 years ago

@Hackay , the link about NASA is good….you should have submitted it for the ticker !!
Never mind though….its a nice share :)

Fireshard
9 years ago | edited 9 years ago

Yeah, I agree…kinda weird, though…“rocket guidance systems” kinda gives extra power to terrorists out there…even the “very very outdated” codes can help people who make IEDs…it only takes one person with “special clearance” to not really have any clearance…a.k.a: a good cracker

Still not too late to submit to the ticker…it’s a good way to ensure it remains seen for a longer time :)

Hackay
9 years ago

Sorry guys, what do you call “ticker” ? Is it the article system ?
I can do that for sure !

@Fireshard for the rocket guidance systems, the article says : “people will need special clearance to get their hands-on projects like the rocket guidance system” fortunately :)

Fireshard
9 years ago

NASA has been hacked into on several occasions :) just sayin'…

This is the ticker:

http://i.imgur.com/t4do9i8.png

Wibben

I think what Fireshard is saying is that even if one person can crack in/hack in and get the special clearance, they can easily distribute it all over the place and this special clearance thing will be useless

Abhi
9 years ago

No…no…try this link for the ticker….and submit your ticker news , Okay ?
https://www.hackthis.co.uk/ticker.php#
:)

Hackay

That’s true ;)

Thank you, I’m going to submit it as a ticker then !

EDIT : Ticker submitted

Fireshard
9 years ago

Yes, what @Wibben said. One malicious person cracking inside the special clearance can distribute everything… Freedom of information is not always a good thing, unfortunately.

Abhi
9 years ago

Yup…we’ll see what happens with time !!

Hackay
9 years ago

For sure !
But I guess they will set up a kind of watch or something… The threat isn’t removed that’s obvious !

Abhi
9 years ago

This is cyberspace guys , one can never be 100 % sure about the security of any cyber site !!

Hackay
9 years ago

[quote=someone]Zero risk does not exist.[/quote]

Wibben
9 years ago

zero risk only exists when nothing exists lol

Hackay
9 years ago

Actually no… There is the risk for nothing to never exist… Haha

Abhi
9 years ago

I think thats enough for off topic talk……

Hackay
9 years ago

So…
Anymore reactions ?
I’m really wondering how it will be, the possibilities and all the new projects to come thanks to it.

3 replies have been removed
You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 17

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss